If you’re looking for a bit more balance in the galaxy, Spud Dastardly has your back with this new mod.
Spud Dastardly, a Steam user who has quickly become known for his outstanding mods for Master of Orion, has finally released a new working version of his mod, 5X—The Ultimate Balance Mod. This mod, which is comprised of five spectacular mods that Spud created before the game received official mod support, takes five of the most requested features and changes made by the community and adds them into the game.
The mod, which we covered previously, includes changes to the tech tree, exposes all the hidden custom race traits for custom-created civilizations, and changes up some of the design choices of the diplomacy and espionage systems.
Other changes made to the game with this mod include:
- All races now cost 10 points and can be remade in the custom race screen. The Mrrshan are now a beam attack based race as originally designed.
- You have two new starting ages to choose from: Hyper Advanced where you start with all techs up to planar transcendence researched and Rush where you start with 9 colony ships.
- Added a new difficulty level: Impossible, for the really hardcore players out there.
- You start with civil and troop transports, and colony bases are buildable/scrapable with 0 maintenance.
- Rebalanced the pollution system. Toxic processor gives 10 cleanup now, population no longer generates pollution, radiation shield, flux shield, and barrier shield now give extra pollution clean up. You always get core waste dump, and deep core mine has been moved further up the tree.
- Spaceport gives +1 BC per population now to end the mid game money drought. (edit: this change didn't take effect for some reason. I fixed it, but I have no idea how to update the mod. If you know how to update mods on the workshop, please let me know.)
- All empire defenses have more HP and space and use a smarter choice of special modules on them. Advanced missile bases and Advanced orbital batteries are now available as mid-late game techs.
- Spying missions are shorter and easier for your spies to complete. Your spies travel faster.
- The AI doesn't get so mad when you reject a trade or an offer for an alliance. They're not so thin skinned now.
- Added new and more interesting anomalies. You might just find a colony ship at one if you're lucky!
- You always get battle pods now, and they don't take up extra space. The AI always puts them on their ships now.
- Fighter bays carry twice as many fighters and have twice the range. Now making a fighter based ship might just be worth it!
- Research treaties are cheaper but give a bit less benefit. Trade treaties now last 30 turns.
- Trade goods produces 1 BC for every 1 industry now. You can build stacks of ships up to 100 at a time.
- The tactical battlefield is twice as large now.
- New end game tech tree for you to discover. Hyper advanced miniaturization added.
- You can now research a tech that lets you terraform volcanic planets. You can transform terrans into uber planets directly now.
- You can choose terraforming or jump gates as a starting tech on the custom race screen. Also enabled the omniscient trait and a true repulsive trait that doesn't let you make treaties (both are a little bugged).
- You can play with up to 8 players on a small galaxy. 9 on all other galaxy types. Very slow and slow research speeds are now twice as slow.
- All ship hull types now get an extra weapon and special slot.
While many enjoy the way that the game plays at this moment in time, we know there are many out there who would love the chance to play the game with the fixes mentioned above. This is why mods are such an important part of the 4X genre, and why we were so happy to see them make their way to Master of Orion before the end of the year.
You can learn more about Spud Dastardly’s 5X Mod by heading over to the Steam Workshop page, where you can easily download and apply the mod.